Job title: Grower
Job location: Waller, TX 77484
Job type: Full-Time
Compensation: Competitive salary and benefits
(including matching 401K)
Job Category: Management, Nursery
Magnolia Gardens Nursery is a family owned and operated business, founded in 1978 and located in Waller and Magnolia, Texas. Just 45 minutes north of Houston, our locations offer employees a beautiful place to work while still being close to all the action in the nation’s 4th largest city. MGN prides itself on cultivating a team environment with the leaders of the horticulture industry. Bring your expertise to our 150 acre container nursery or our leading tissue culture laboratory and young plant production nursery. We know, understand and most importantly, appreciate the skill and dedication it takes to be successful in this industry and want to give you the foundation to flourish in our unique industry. We value our employees and look forward to learning more about you.
Magnolia Gardens Nursery is seeking experienced Growers. These duties include, but are not limited to:
- Constant care and monitoring of growing facilities for optimum crop quality, climate, and placement.
- Responsible for all aspects of growing, including watering, fertilizing, spraying, and testing.
- Develop/document high quality standards for consistently growing crops developing best practices that will be incorporated into our computer production module
- Maintain good growing practices to meet required ready dates and contract grow dates
- Work with Sales to promote quality programs for our customers
- Conduct trials/experiments to evaluate possible improvements to the crop
- Meet with and understand customers needs and quality requirements
- Perform/track soil, water, disease tests as needed
- Identify/track/control insects
- Monitor/control computerized greenhouse environments
- Interact/communicate with a dedicated, knowledgeable, well organized grower team
- Identify crop problems and develop corrective and preventative actions
- Proficient at balancing available work hours with work demand
- Plan, organize, direct, control and coordinate team of up to 15 people
Qualified candidates must be innovative problem solvers, process driven, self-motivated, develop and work as part of a team. Strong management, organizational, and communication skills are also vital to the success of this role. Someone with an understanding of how to leverage people and technology to improve productivity with an owner’s mindset. Attention to detail is of the utmost importance. Candidates should be capable of working within broad parameters with minimal supervision. He/she must be able to work with co-workers in a courteous and professional manner at all times.
Education, training, experience:
- 5 years of growing or related nursery production experience and management
- Degree in Horticulture
- Certified Nursery Professional
- Certified Pest Applicator
- Lean Six Sigma Certification